Auteur Message
  Rencontres cosmopolites en oz : présentations et salutations
Message Publié : 09 Mars 2004 20:05 
FranceDownUnder Addict
FranceDownUnder Addict
Hors-ligne
Message(s) : 131
Alors voilà un ti debat :
En france ou plutot dans les pays latins - hors milieu professionnel - on a l'habitude de faire "la bise" lors d'une rencontre/salutation physique entre garçons et filles, qu'en est-il en Australie? entre australiens et etrangers latins? pour eviter les quiproquos de la premiere ou deuxieme fois
moi perso, je me sens tres mal a l aise lorsqu'une fille me serre la main hors milieu pro.. ;-)

Message Publié : 09 Mars 2004 20:46 
FranceDownUnder Expert
FranceDownUnder Expert
Hors-ligne
Message(s) : 374
Les démonstrations physiques d'amitié ne sont guère encouragées en Australie. Toutefois, rien ne vous empeche d'utiliser votre propre façon de saluer si vous jugez que votre action ne causera aucune offense.

Message Publié : 09 Mars 2004 22:41 
FranceDownUnder Addict
FranceDownUnder Addict
Hors-ligne
oui certes, mais quand on ne connait pas tout ce qui se fait dans la vie de tous les jours du pays qui va nous acceuillir, on peut se demander celà, et surtout si notre façon de saluer amicalement peut ou non "choquer les meurs" ou offenser de quelque manière que ce soit....
que pensez vous tous?

Message Publié : 10 Mars 2004 06:55 
Modérateur
Modérateur
Hors-ligne
Message(s) : 1814
J'ai remarque que les australiens que l'on voit regulierement se sont habitues a nos 2 bises sur la joue avec nous.
Sinon, les australiens qui se connaissent entre eux se font parfois une bise.

Si tu es presente a de nouvelles personnes, rien ne t'empeche d'observer ce que font les autres avant de te lancer dans les salutations. Si on te tend la main, tu sais quoi faire. Et si, rien ne se passe, tu peux juste dire bonjour sans aucun contact, juste hello, I am bla bla... nice to meet you.

Il ne me semble pas avoir choque qqn ici en lui faisant la bise, il y a meme des australiens qui trouvent ca sympa. Si tu vois que ca bloque un peu (certains australiens n'aiment vraiment pas les contacts physiques), abstiens-toi. Tu verras au cas par cas.

celine

Message Publié : 12 Mars 2004 17:45 
FranceDownUnder Expert
FranceDownUnder Expert
Hors-ligne
Message(s) : 1245
Localisation : >Une aussie que vit a Ballarat, 100 km N-O de Melbourne
mucephei a écrit :
oui certes, mais quand on ne connait pas tout ce qui se fait dans la vie de tous les jours du pays qui va nous acceuillir, on peut se demander celà, et surtout si notre façon de saluer amicalement peut ou non "choquer les meurs" ou offenser de quelque manière que ce soit....
que pensez vous tous?

Ah, I don't quite understand the question well enough, but I think I can get most of this conversation.. that you want to know when you have to shake hands, and when it's ok to kiss people....
I don't always know myself! It depends on the person, and more importantly I think, the age group. (The older the person is, the safer it could be to try it!)

In fact I remember having a similar sort of conversation with a forum months ago..lets see if I can still find it....yep!....this might be a good time to resurrect the post of the book "How to be normal in Australia" (see chapter: "why kissing always means yes")

http://francedownunder.com/forum/viewto ... c&start=15

Otherwise, my advice, is say first that you're French, and then any habit different from theirs should be excused :mrgreen:
From my perspective here, I don't see young acquaintances in their 20's here kiss each other on meeting much at all, but after age 30 it seems much more common.

Also keep in mind that it isn't that some Australian's don't LIKE kissing when they meet people casually, but that they haven't been used to that in childhood. In my teenage years, I remember if anybody saw you kiss your parents or anyone, you really got laughed at by your friends, so it can be quite 'un-cool'.
And so this 'reluctance' or slight feeling of discomfort can carry much further on into adult life.

Kate

Message Publié : 12 Mars 2004 18:09 
FranceDownUnder Addict
FranceDownUnder Addict
Hors-ligne
thank you very much kate! a lot of philosophy in your words... i think i will do as my feeling tell me...
I understand, in fact Australians are not really accustomed to kiss each over (girl and boys) like in Latin countries.
so i will see! maybe i need to do my own experience... :wink:

Message Publié : 22 Mars 2004 12:50 
FranceDownUnder Expert
FranceDownUnder Expert
Hors-ligne
Or conduct your own experiments :mrgreen:

I’ve been thinking a lot more about the questions & why things are the way they are (ask a usual Australian and they’d probably just tell you ‘that’s just the way things are’ but there’s more than that).

I’ve been able to figure out your whole post now and probably the easiest way I can think of to describe the difference is this:

Mostly Australians will kiss each other on the cheeks only through friend or family affection, so if you keep this in mind, you can then see how it could be difficult for an Australian to kiss you the first time they meet you - after all they don’t know you yet to feel affection for you! (unless they’re drunk but I won’t include this)

This affection thing could also be why it’s so much easier for us to kiss somebody goodbye than hello - after all, after an evening, you may have developed some friendship for the other person.

Also, about what you say about being uncomfortable shaking hands with girls - it’s something you’ll probably have to get used to, because really, I think girls really like to shake hands. It’s part of being very independent and less reserved than women of some other cultures
(“How to be normal in Australia” post has a good chapter about girls who chase guys instead of the other way around and it can be quite true.)
You’ll never offend a woman if you shake her hand: she’d be pleased, but if she knows you’re French, maybe being kissed on the cheeks instead is nicer.

I think there’s something beneath the surface that tells us that women are equal to men when we shake hands with them, even in a very social situation (girls and girls don’t shake hands as often as girls and guys - maybe because there’s no need for this ).
It’s also a lot safer just to shake hands if you happen to be out with your partner/boyfriend, etc!

If you discover that Australians don’t have much understanding of the latin temperament: later you’ll discover Aussie males often have no idea of it at all!
Not to worry you, but maybe you should know that what you see as politeness, they may misinterpret as flirtatiousness. (An American friend once wrote in an email to me that this is his opinion of almost all French guys, and I was quite shocked that he interpreted it this way. I mean, charming is one thing, flirtatious is another. )

Even I have trouble understanding sometimes when I see introduction posts on FDU and they are signed ‘Bisous’.
An Aussie would be likely to be confused and think “but you don’t even KNOW the people yet because they haven’t replied!!’
Where it seems so easy for French to write Bisous, once we passed the child/teenager stage (where it was ok to write ‘love’ on letters often) people I know would write ‘Love’ mostly to only good friends or on greeting cards to members of the same sex.
Mix the 2 cultures together and it can get a little tricky...I discovered this when a French male friend years ago put “xxx" "bisous” on the bottom of postcards to me and my husband saw one of them one day....even though he’s been to France and met my friend too, I still had some explaining to do....
Imagine how it may be for Aussie guys who’ve never visited a latin country to understand....I don’t think it’s possible to explain, they have to see it for themselves.

But like Celine says, when you’ve known people for a little while, they soon get used to your customs and all is cool, but it’s just getting past the first stages.

Here’s an example of a very close Oz family in operation (my large extended in-law family, par exemple).

If we haven’t seen each other for about a month, when we meet we’re likely to kiss each other hello, but probably not goodbye. I think I can usually tell by how enthusiastic the ‘hello’ is whether we're going to be kissing each other. (otherwise it must just be telepathic!)

If we haven’t seen each other for a month and one of us is going away somewhere, we’re likely to kiss hello AND goodbye.
(Same goes for good friends).
If it’s Christmas or Birthday, normal rules don’t apply - even if we saw each other yesterday, everybody will kiss everyone like we haven’t seen each other in 2 months!

The children will kiss us each time we visit, for hello and goodbye (though this is more frequent than my normal experience). The teenage girls will hug their uncle, but not kiss him any more (till they get into their 20’s and they don’t feel it’s embarrassing!). They’re in the difficult stage where if you mention the words ‘kissing’ and ‘boys’ in same sentence, they’ll just run away to their rooms.
The concept of kissing a boy at school, just to be polite, would be completely alien to them.

What always works well in our Alliance Francaise group, is how some of the men have got over their slight difficulty of kissing women in the group (even after years of practice kissing French speaking Aussie friends)

They shake hands with us and kiss on the cheeks simultaneously.
That way, it seems that the customs of their own culture have been fulfilled, and then it’s no longer difficult to continue by doing things the French way.

An advantage to trying this could also be that once you have hold of the girl’s hand, she’s less able to get away from you :mrgreen:

Oops, sorry for the long explanation. As you can see, it’s one of my favorite subjects...

Bisous
Kate :D

Message Publié : 22 Mars 2004 15:29 
Fair Dinkum Mate
Fair Dinkum Mate
Hors-ligne
Message(s) : 52
Hey Kate!

I've had a look at the forum where you shared your views on the book "How to be normal in Australia". Sounds very interesting. Can you please let me know who wrote it? I'd very much like to read it. Not that I want to be normal here though, it feels good to be different for a change :wink:
But I wish I had read your message earlier: if only I had known last Saturday that kissing always means yes... :mrgreen:

Thanks!

Vincent

PS: I didn't know the French had a reputation of being bad drivers (here what I have heard most so far is that we are arrogant, which is much worse), but I remember a joke similar to this (European joke I'll grant you that), which says:
Heaven is a place were lovers are Italian, cooks are French, mecanics are Swiss, humour is English and everything is organised by Germans.
And Hell is a place where lovers are Swiss, cooks are English, mecanics are French, humour is German and everything is organised by Italians...
I know there are many variants of this.

The most funny was when I told that joke to some German friends who laughed very loudly until they heard 'their' second part!

Message Publié : 22 Mars 2004 17:41 
FranceDownUnder Expert
FranceDownUnder Expert
Hors-ligne
Chapichapo a écrit :

But I wish I had read your message earlier: if only I had known last Saturday that kissing always means yes... :mrgreen:

Hmm...we won't go into that one! :mrgreen:

Yes, you need the book...but we discovered during the time the post was running that it has been out of print a long time....BUT you can read it online!
http://www.majormitchell.com.au/contents.html#benormal

and there are other books of his on the Majormitchell.com.au site too (I know one FDUer was reading "how to mate in Australia" but I wouldn't recommend it if it says you have to sit in a corner and grunt into your beer (which it probably does somewhere). In this case, you're better off staying completely French!

Chapichapo a écrit :
PS: I didn't know the French had a reputation of being bad drivers (here what I have heard most so far is that we are arrogant, which is much worse), but I remember a joke similar to this (European joke I'll grant you that), which says:
Heaven is a place were lovers are Italian, cooks are French, mecanics are Swiss, humour is English and everything is organised by Germans.
And Hell is a place where lovers are Swiss, cooks are English, mecanics are French, humour is German and everything is organised by Italians...

Oh yes, the French have the reputation for being bad drivers (and maybe it was started by Europeans, because many years ago I saw on the "Perfect European" EU postcards "The Perfect European should be...."driving like the French"..."Generous as a Dutchman"...."cooking like a Brit", "controlled as an Italian" "humourous as a German" and several others, with pictures which show the direct opposite, which remind me of your joke.

Yes, the arrogance thing is often heard about the French here (mostly by people who've never been there, je crois!). Me and my Alliance Francaise buddies often have to argue with new people we meet that all French are NOT arrogant (just maybe the odd Parisian or so or if you go into France with the attitude of expecting everyone to speak English)

Bonne chance with the 'book studies' Vincent :mrgreen:

I may have to revive and continue the "How to be Normal" post at some stage if people start discovering it again...

Kate

Répondre au sujet  [ 9 message(s) ]